Happy New Year: Reflections & Aspirations
As today is the last day of 2017, I just wanted to spend this moment to reflect and to express my gratitude to those who read this newsletter. You never know who is willing to invest a little bit of time every time I press ‘publish’, so I do love the numerous emails I receive in forms of feedback. It is also the time of the year that we all get obsessed by lists. Well I have interests beyond the Boss, so without further adieu, here is mine:
Top 10 Books:
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly
- Disrupt Yourself by Whitney Johnson
- The Power of Onlyness by Nilofer Merchant
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
- Simply Brilliant by William Taylor
- The Business Romantic by Tim Leberecht
- Emergent by Stephen Scott Johnson
- Creative Confidence by David & Tom Kelley
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
Notable Mentions: Next, Perennial Seller, Mask of Masculinity, Side Hustle, Tribe of Mentors, Wisdom of Sundays, High Performance Habits, The Daily Stoic, Stealing Fire, Find Your Why, When – The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing.
Top 10 Podcasts:
- Tim Ferris Show with Tim Ferris
- Happier with Gretchin Rubin
- The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes
- The Vitality Show with Nikki Fogden Moore
- Where Should We Begin with Esther Perel
- How I Built This with Guy Raz
- On Being with Krista Tippet
- Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell
- Super Soul Sunday with Oprah Winfrey
- The Joe Rogan Experience with Joe Rogan
Top Ten Thinkers: (outside of those above, who I stalk mercifully)
- Matt Church
- Peter Cook
- Michael Margolis
- Deb Mills-Schofield
- Jorge Barba
- Lisa O’Neill
- Jason Silva
- Dr Jason Fox
- Jamie Wheal & Steven Kotler
- Ryan Holliday
Top 10 Films:
- La La Land
- Manchester by the Sea
- I am not your Negro
- Get Out
- Lady Bird
- Baby Driver
- The Big Sick
- Call Me By Your Name
My Top Ten Blogs: (as evidenced by your ‘opens’)
- Don’t Forget to Be Human
- Disrupt You – Masterclass
- Lessons Learnt
- Disrupt Your Career
- Building Your Team’s Purpose
- Daring & Disruptive
- On Purpose
- Developing Your Corporate Identity Story
- Co-Create Your Purpose
- Values Underpin A Purpose Driven Organisation
I have never been one for New Year’s resolutions but this year I have been taken by the power of Stoicism and in honour of this my mantra for 2018 is to “Just Say No”. Not to great opportunities. Not to my kids. Not to my friends. Not to my health. Just to all the distractions that don’t add value (like alcohol – yikes). If it is not a ‘hell yes’ it is a NO.
Seneca talks about being ruthless to the things that don’t matter.
One of the hardest things to do in life is say “no.”
To invitations, to requests, to obligations, to the stuff that everyone else is doing.
None of these impulses feels like a big deal by itself, but run amok, they become commitments like anything else.
Seneca states that “if you’re not careful, these are precisely the impositions that will overwhelm and consume your life.”
It may hurt some feelings. It may turn people off. It may take hard work.
But the more you say no to the things that don’t matter, the more you can say yes to the things that do.
This will let you live and enjoy the life that you want.
Other points of gratitude:
Lisa Messenger (for thought leadership, opportunities and for being you),
And for the feedback:
Leilani Abels, Shala Ahmed, Cameron Alderson, Steve Arthurson, Matt Avent, Lil Barac-Macey, Mike Beck, David Bloustein, Beau Boundy, Bec Brideson, Paul, Broadfoot, Matt Burr, Nick Callander, Matt Church, Pete Cook, Evette Cordy, Phil Crenigan, Ben Crowe, Clifton Daniell, Todd Deacon, Michael Edmonds, Claire Edwards, Jennifer Erdmanis, Colin Ellis, Andrew Fairlam, Con Frantzeskos, Nikki Fogden Moore, Dave Fountain, Celeste Halliday, Nikk Hughes, Stephen Johnson, Marc Jongebloed, Cameron Knight, Jamie Lobina, Alistair McClausland, Cam MacFarlane, Maurice McGrath, Margaret Manson, Alan Marion, Georgia Murch, Mim Orlando, Tim Ovadia, Racheal Pickworth, Murray Raeburn, Tina Randello, Alex Rickarby, Paul Roberg, Katie Saunders, Trent Schmidt, Amy Scott, Belinda Scott, Rose Scott, Warren Sherwin, Nicole Sparkes, Tania Squires, Ben Summons, Matt Talbot, Angela Tatlis, Nick Truelson, Andy Vance, Candice Walker, Ben Wicks, Susie White, Paul Williamson, Peter Zarris
Happy New Year Everyone – Make it Your Most Spectacular!!